Sing We Now Of Christmas

Snow in Carding Mill Valley
As per usual for mid-July, I'm now in the middle of selecting Christmas music for all my choirs! Due to the nature of most of them, we don't have a completely new programme of music each term or year, but rather introduce a selection of new pieces to add or replace older ones. As they are all community choirs of sorts, and many members don't read music, this means that there is enough time to learn the new pieces well, without huge pressure to learn two hours worth of new music – something that just could not happen successfully with the choirs I direct.


New for this year, the music I have chosen or been recommended by choir members includes:

Adiemus by Karl Jenkins – a tribal-sounding and impressive choral piece that is actually fairly simple
 A New Year Carol by Britten – a sweet, simple carol
Carol of the Bells arr. Steve Kupfersch – a popular favourite that is fun to sing
Christmastime – a new piece by me
Something told the wild geese arr. Sherri Porterfield – a beautiful arrangement of the poem chosen by a choir member
Parade of the wooden soldiers arr. Greg Gilpin – a simple piece featuring...kazoos. I may live to regret this.
Pie Jesu by Karl Jenkins – Yes, another Jenkins! I'm favouring his easy-to-learn and repetitive tunes. Technically not a Christmas piece so we can use this throughout the year.
The Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth arr. Jay Althouse – the much-loved Bowie/Crosby duet arranged for choir


I am still in the process of selecting music for the men's choir so I will share my selections later. Do feel free to suggest any you would like to hear!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon A Time...